State Agency Databases
This is an annotated, subject list of Montana state government agency databases. It is similar to and based on a project by the Government Documents Roundtable of the American Library Association. As databases, these information resources all require user interaction to retrieve information. If you know of additional state agency databases that are freely, publicly available and do not require registration or payment that are not listed here, please contact Jim Kammerer at email@example.com or 406-444-5432. This list was last checked for broken links 5/1/2017.
Agriculture and Food Sources
Business, Finance & Economy
Community and Social Services
Crime, Criminal Justice & Law Enforcement
Earth and the Environment
- Automated Licensing Service (ALS) (Hunting) "Find ALS number, how many bonus points, and options for applying for hunting licenses."
- Channel Migration Zones includes GIS data and field photos
- Clean Water Act Information Center
- Fish and Wildlife Library Search
- Fish Access Sites, Fish Hatcheries, and Wildlife Management Areas Search
- Groundwater Information Center Water Well Data
- Montana 310 Permit Database. "Locate and view the attributes of river structures permitted under the 310 Permit system."
- Montana Board of Oil & Gas Conservation Online Oil and Gas Information System. Maps and data on oil and gas wells in Montana.
- Montana Drinking Water Watch
- Montana Fisheries Information System
- Montana State Parks
- Natural Heritage Tracker This version of Tracker only works with Internet Explorer.
- Plant Field Guide
- Source Water Protection Program Query System Source Water Assessments and maps of Montana's public water supplies.
- Species of Concern Search for plants and animals that are at risk or potentially at risk.
- Underground Storage Tank seach includes tank ownership, contents, age, size, construction, release detection method installed, status of these UST systems--whether active, closed in-place or removed.
- Water Right Query System
- Water Court Case Search
- Child Nutrition School Program Eligibility and Participation
- Child Nutrition School Program Funding and Reimbursement
- Child Nutrition Summer Program
- Classes in Core Academic Subjects
- Enrollment Data
- Free/Reduced Eligibility Data for Child Nutrition Program
- Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Data
- Montana State Educator Information System. Search by name or state educator ID number.
- Montana's Statewide Longitudinal Education Data System “Data and interactive reports on student achievement, graduation rates, enrollment, program and course offerings, district and school profiles, the National Assessment of Education Progress (NAEP), and financial information reported by school districts."
- Pupil Transportation Dashboard
- School District Employee Compensation Summary Report
- School District Employee Compensation Detail Report
- School Finance. Data on budgets, revenue, expenditures, transportation, and retirement mills.
- Student Achievement Dashboard
- Statewide Assessment
Government Agencies and Elected Officials
Government Finances and Contracts
Health, Medicine, and Safety
History, People, and Culture
- Montana Memory Project. Digital collections and items relating to Montana’s cultural heritage and government.
- MT.GOV Connect. Online archive of Montana state agency websites dating from 1996 in partial fulfillment of statutory mandate to identify, acquire, describe, and provide permanent public access to state publications.
- Montana State Publications Text Archive. Historic collection of digitized Montana state publications dating from late 19th century.
- Montana Newspapers. Montana newspapers- historic and more current.
- Montana Library Directory Find library, library employee or trustee.
Jobs & Employment
Laws, Legislative Materials, and Legal Issues
Recreation, Travel, Tourism
- Montana Place Names "Based on the places found on the 2003 Montana highway map, explores the origins of more than 1100 Montana place names, hundreds of geographic features and historical locations."
Regulation of Telecommunication, Transportation, and Utilities
Statistics, Data, Mapping/GIS
- Montana Cadastral Mapping Project
- Montana Digital Atlas. Includes: County, Highways, Indian Reservation, Legislative Districts, National Forest or District Streams, Lakes, Towns, Township and Range, Geographic Names, Geographic Coordinates, Tax Parcel ID, 2000 Census Geography, Watershed Boundaries, Subbasins (USGS 4th Code), Watersheds (NRCS 5th Code), Watershed Groups (MT) and some land ownership information.